British Racing MotorsHistory
BRM was founded just after the Second World War by Raymond Mays, who had built several hillclimb and road racing cars under the ERA brand before the war, and Peter Berthon, a long-time associate. Mays' pre-war successes (and access to pre-war Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union design documents) inspired him to build an all-British Grand Prix car for the post-war era, as a national prestige project (which, naturally, he would drive himself!) with the backing (both financially and in kind and labour) of the British motor industry and its suppliers channelled through a trust fund.
This proved to be an unwieldy way of organising and financing the project, and as some of the backers withdrew, disappointed with the team's slow progress and early results, it fell to one of the partners in the trust, Alfred Owen of the Rubery Owen group of companies, which primarily manufactured car parts, to take over the team in its entirety. Between 1954 and 1970 the team entered its works F1 cars under the official name of the Owen Racing Organisation. Berthon and Mays continued to run the team on Rubery Owen's behalf into the 1960s, before it was handed over to Louis Stanley, the husband of Sir Alfred's sister Jean Owen. Full name British Racing Motors
Base Bourne, Lincolnshire, England
Founder/s Raymond Mays
Noted staff Alfred Owen
Noted drivers Reg Parnell
Formula One World Championship career
Engines BRM 1.5 litre V16, 2.5l inline four, 1.5l Coventry-Climax FPF, 1.5l, 1.9l and 2.1l V8, 3.0l H16, 3.0l V12
Debut 1951 British Grand Prix
Races competed 197
Championships 1 (1962)
Championships 1 (1962)
Race victories 17
Pole positions 11
Fastest laps 15
Final race 1977 Italian Grand Prix
Formula One portal
British Racing Motors (generally known as BRM) was a British Formula 1 motor racing team. Founded in 1945, it raced from 1950 to 1977, competing in 197 Grands Prix and winning 17. In 1962, BRM won the Constructors' Title. At the same time, its driver, Graham Hill became World Champion. In 1963, 1964, 1965 and 1971, BRM came second in the Constructors' Competition. V 16
A factory was set up in Spalding Road, Bourne, Lincolnshire, behind Eastgate House, Mays' family home. (At this stage it was in the former ERA works, vacated in 1939 and used in 1944 as a billet for the Parachute Regiment as it regrouped before going to Arnhem.) Several people involved with ERA returned to the firm to work for BRM, including Harry Mundy and Eric Richter. The team also had access to a test facility at Folkingham aerodrome.
The first post-war set of rules for the top level of motor racing allowed 1.5 litre supercharged or 4.5 litre unsupercharged engines so BRM's first engine design was an extremely ambitious 1.5 litre supercharged V16. Rolls-Royce was contracted to produce centrifugal superchargers, rather than the more commonly used Roots type superchargers. Since his experience on the supercharging of the ERA engines, Berthon had been doing war-time work on aero-engines at Rolls Royce, Derby. The design concept of the V16 had not been used extensively on automobiles before so that design problems were many and the engine did not fire for the first time until June 1949. It proved to be outstandingly powerful but its output was produced over a very limited range of engine speed. Engineer Tony Rudd was seconded to BRM from Rolls-Royce to develop the supercharging system and remained involved with BRM for nearly 20 years.
The Type 15, which was the designation for the V16 car, won the first two races it actually started, the Formula Libre and Formula One events at Goodwood in September, 1950, driven by Reg Parnell. However, it was never to be so successful again. The engine proved unreliable and difficult to develop, and the team's development efforts were not up to the task of improving the situation. A string of failures caused much embarrassment, and the problems were still unsolved when the CSI announced in 1952 that for 1954, a new engine formula of 2.5 litres unsupercharged or 750cc supercharged would take effect.
Meanwhile, the organisers of all the Grands Prix counting for the World Championship elected to run their races for Formula Two for the next two years, as Alfa Romeo had pulled out of racing and BRM were unable to present raceworthy cars - leaving no credible opposition to Ferrari other than ancient Lago-Talbots and the odd O.S.C.A.. The V16s continued to race in minor Formula One races and in British Formula Libre events until the mid fifties, battles with Tony Vandervell's Thin Wall Special Ferrari 375 being a particular highlight of the British scene. Crisis
The British Racing Partnership BRM P25 with which Stirling Moss took second place in the 1959 British Grand Prix.The Type 25 was the next car. It used a very oversquare (4.05 x 2.95 in, 102.87 x 74.93 mm) 2.5L unsupercharged four-cylinder engine designed by Stuart Tresilian and (as became a typical theme with BRM) it arrived late and took a lot of development; it was in fact so late that the Owen Organisation started the 2.5l formula with a Maserati 250F. The P25 was initially unsuccessful, not winning a race until a long awaited victory at the Dutch Grand Prix in 1959. Colin Chapman helped to improve the car in 1956. Stirling Moss believed that the BRM engine was superior to the Coventry-Climax unit used in his Cooper, and a P25 was briefly run in 1959 by the British Racing Partnership, for Moss (and also Hans Herrmann), and Rob Walker also backed the construction of a Cooper-BRM to gain access to the engine.
The P25 was becoming highly competitive just as the rear engined Cooper started to become dominant; the P48 was a quick reaction to this, using major components from the P25 but in rear-engined format. The P48 was revised for the 1.5l rules in 1961, but once again BRM's own engine was not ready and the cars had to run with a Coventry-Climax four cylinder unit in adapted P48 chassis. Needless to say very little was achieved.
The firm moved to a purpose-built workshop on an adjoining site in spring 1960 but when the 1.5 litre unsupercharged Formula 1 regulation was introduced in 1961, Alfred Owen was threatening to pull the plug unless race victories were achieved very soon. Champions
Graham Hill with BRM 1962 at the NürburgringBy the end of the 1961 season BRM had managed to build an engine designed by Peter Berthon and Aubrey Woods (BRM P56 V8) (2.6975 x 2.0 in, 68.5 x 50.8 mm) which was on a par with the Dino V6 used by Ferrari and the Coventry-Climax V8 used by other British teams. However, the real change was the promotion of an exceptional engineer who had been with the team since 1950 (originally on secondment from Rolls Royce to look after the supercharging on the V16); Tony Rudd was elevated by Owen to the position of chief development engineer. Rudd was the first professional engineer to exercise full technical control over the team, and basic engineering and reliability problems which had plagued the team for years began to vanish. He was given greater responsibility in 1960 after two of the drivers, Graham Hill and Dan Gurney, went on strike and told Alfred Owen they would not drive again, and in early 1962 full executive authority was given to Tony Rudd. Raymond Mays and Peter Berthon were sidelined. The team had designed their first mid-engined car for 1960, matching the other teams, and won the World Drivers' Championship with Graham Hill as driver, in 1962. During 1965, 210 bhp at 11,000 rpm was the rated power. However at the high-speed 1965 Italian GP (Monza) an uprated version was raced with 220 bhp (223 PS) at 11,750 rpm for short bursts. A planned 4 valve per cylinder version in cooperation with Weslake Engineering never materialized.
As part of Owen's attempt to make BRM pay its way, the V8 engine was sold to privateers and appeared in a number of other chassis during the 1.5l formula, particularly in private Lotus chassis and in smaller marques such as BRP.
A number of privateers acquired 1961-2 BRMs during this period, including Maurice Trintignant and Scuderia Centro Sud; these cars continued to race on for many years.
Monocoque V8 cars were soon developed and these ran on through the 1.5 litre formula and performed useful service in the early races of the subsequent 3.0 litre formula. In 1965 Jackie Stewart was signed to partner Hill; he took his first Grand Prix win at Monza in his debut season, and won the first World Championship race of the new three-litre formula with a car fitted with a Tasman two-litre V8; once again BRM were not ready for the start of a new formula and the old cars continued to be used, even on occasion when the H16 was ready. H 16
A BRM P83, the only BRM model which ran successfully with the H16 engine. Note position of inlet trumpets and cam covers on the side of the H16 engine.For 1966, the engine regulations changed to permit 3.0 litre unsupercharged (or 1.5 litre supercharged) engines. BRM refused Peter Berthon and Aubrey Woods' proposal to build a V12, and instead built a strange engine, designed by Tony Rudd and Geoff Johnson, the H 16 (BRM P75), which essentially used two flat-8 engines (derived from their 1.5l V8) one above the other, with the crankshafts geared together. BRM found the H 16 (2.75 x 1.925 in, 69.85 x 48.895 mm) attractive because it was initially planned to share design elements and components with the successful 1.5 litre V8. While the engine was powerful, it was also heavy and unreliable - Rudd claims that his drawings were not followed accurately and many of the castings were much thicker and heavier than he had specified. (When Lotus took delivery of their first H16 it took six men to carry it from the van to the workshop). Jackie Stewart (who drove for BRM in this period) is believed to have said "This piece of metal is better used as a ship's anchor than as a power plant". At that time BRM earned the nickname of "British Racing Misery". BRM, Lotus and various privateers had been using enlarged versions of the BRM 1.5 V8 of up to 2.1 litres in 1966, as competitive 3.0 engines were in short supply in this first year of the new regulations. Lotus also took up the H16 as an interim measure until the Cosworth DFV was ready, building the Lotus 43 to house it, and Jim Clark managed to win the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen with this combination. It was the only victory for this engine in a World Championship race. Lotus built the similar Lotus 42 designed for Indianapolis with a 4.2 litre version of the H-16 (2.9375 x 2.36 in, 74.61 x 59.94 mm) but this was never raceworthy; the cars were raced with Ford V-8s instead.
The H16 engine was redesigned with a narrow angle 4 valve head and magnesium main castings to reduce weight and increase power, but never raced in a car as BRM decided to use the V12 unit which was being sold to other F1 and sports car teams with encouraging results. V 12
Pedro Rodriguez with BRM 1968The H 16 was replaced by a V 12 (2.9375 x 2.25 in, 74.61 x 57.15 mm) designed by Geoff Johnson. It had been intended for sports car use, but was first used in F1 by the McLaren M5A. Back at the works, the early V12 years were lean ones. In 1967 the 2-valve layout gave about 360 bhp @ 9,000 rpm. In 1968 this had increased to 390 bhp @ 9,750 rpm. Geoff Johnson updated the design by adding a 4-valve head, based on the H16 485 bhp 4-valve layout; this improved the V12's power output to 452 bhp @ 10,500 rpm and eventually to a claimed 465 bhp during 1969. In 1973 Louis Stanley claimed 490 bhp @ 11,750 rpm. The first V12 chassis (P133) was designed independently by Len Terry; the subsequent P139 was designed and built in-house. John Surtees joined as the team's lead driver, with the semi-works Parnell team for driver development (notably Piers Courage and Chris Irwin). Surtees' time at BRM was not happy, and despite the fact that a ground effect 'wing car' was designed, this was never constructed and the team's performances were lacklustre. Surtees left after a single unhappy season (1969), along with Tony Rudd who went to Lotus (initially on the road-car side), and Geoff Johnson who departed for Austin Morris.
The team regrouped with new drivers and Tony Southgate as designer, and gained its first V12 victory for Pedro Rodríguez at the 1970 Belgian Grand Prix in a P153, with further victories for Jo Siffert and Peter Gethin in 1971 in the P160. The team had reached one of its intermittent peaks of success. Sadly both Siffert and Rodriguez were killed before the 1972 season and the team had to regroup completely again. Their last victory was when Jean-Pierre Beltoise drove a stunning race to win the rain-affected 1972 Monaco Grand Prix with the P160. The 1972 campaign was generally chaotic: having acquired major sponsorship, Louis Stanley originally planned to field up to six cars (three for established drivers, three for paying journeymen and young drivers) of varying designs including P153s, P160s and P180s and actually ran up to five for a mix of paying and paid drivers until it became obvious that it was completely overstretched -- the team's sponsors insisted that the team should cut back to a more reasonable level and only three cars were run in 1973 for Beltoise, Lauda and Regazzoni. Decline and Fall
The last notable performance was Beltoise's second position in the 1974 South African Grand Prix with the Mike Pilbeam-designed P201, an attractive car with pyramidal monocoque, very different from the curvy "coke-bottle" Southgate cars. The Owen Organisation ended its support of the team and it was run on a lower-key basis by Louis Stanley and some of the Bourne personnel as Stanley-BRM until 1977. Old P201s were initially used, with the team hoping for revival with the bulky and vaguely Ferrari-like P207 - which failed entirely.
Cereal millionaire and amateur racer John Jordan purchased some of the team's assets when the team finally folded, and backed the building of a pair of P230 cars by CTG, with the aim of competing in the national-level Aurora AFX formula one championship. These modest ambitions were not seen through, although one chassis did apparently race in the revived CanAm series. Side Projects
The team became involved with Rover's gas-turbine project, with the Rover-BRM gas turbine car running at Le Mans in 1963 and 1965 (it was damaged in testing and missed the 1964 race). BRM were also involved with Donald Campbell's gas-turbine Bluebird project. In later years they also built an unsuccessful CanAm car, and dabbled with larger versions of the H16 engine for the Indianapolis 500. As a part of the Owen Organisation, BRM also worked on tuned road-car engines for Ford, Chrysler and others. The BRM-tuned version of the 1558cc Lotus/Ford twin-cam engine was particularly popular. This improved version of the Lotus-Ford engine was used by Tony Rudd when he left BRM for Lotus to form the basis of the Lotus produced "Sprint" version of the engine used in the Elan Sprint, Elan Plus2S-130, Europa JPS and Caterham Seven.
BRM were contracted by Chrysler (UK) Competition Department to develop a 16 valve cylinder head for the Hillman Avenger engine. It proved unreliable, underpowered. and unable compete with the Ford rally team's proven Cosworth BDA-powered RS1600 Escorts. BRM engine sales
The Owen Organisation expected BRM to turn a profit through sales of racing engines; the four-cylinder appeared briefly in a Cooper-BRM special for Stirling Moss but found no other customers. The V8 powered many 1.5 litre cars, including various private Lotuses and Brabhams as well as the BRP works team. Enlarged Tasman Series V8s of between 1.9 and 2.1 L were popular in 1966 as a stopgap before full three litre engines were widely available. These units were also sold to Matra to power its early sports-prototypes.
A one-litre Formula Two engine was also made available, based on half of the F1 V8. This was not successful, in a formula dominated by Cosworth-Ford and eventually Honda engines.
Team Lotus used the ill-fated H16 engine, scoring its only win.
V12s were sold to other constructors of which the most notable were Cooper, John Wyer and McLaren. Matra entered into a contract with BRM to collaborate in the design of their own V12 engine, but when this became public knowledge the French constructor was forced to drop the involvement with BRM and restart development with a French partner, as its government funding was threatened, but there were still close resemblances between the finished Matra engine and the BRM. Sponsorship and colours
A BRM P153 in the 1970 season Yardley livery.The first BRMs were a pale duck-egg green (any shade of green represented Britain's racing colours), but this was later replaced for aesthetic reasons by a very dark metallic shade of grey-green. During the team's Owen-owned years the cars bore simple "Owen Racing Organisation" signage. The BRP-entered BRM for Moss and Herrmann was a non-metallic duck-egg green. Centro-Sud ran their cars in Italian red; Trintignant's car was in French blue.
A BRM P180 in the 1972 season Marlboro livery.At one point in the 60s Alfred Owen's brother Ernest wanted the team to paint their cars orange with black trim, orange being the Owen Organisation's corporate colour, used for a band around the nose of the cars and for the mechanics' overalls; Rudd (who didn't like the idea of orange BRMs) pointed out that orange was the Dutch racing colour, when such things were still honoured; through most of the 1960s the cars ran with Owen orange bands round the nose.
The team acquired significant commercial sponsorship from Yardley for the 1970 season, running in white with black, gold and ochre stripes in a stylised "Y" wrapping around the car's bodywork, losing this deal to McLaren for 1972 and replacing it by Marlboro's familiar white and red (a flat shade, not dayglo) colours. Ironically this deal was also lost to McLaren for 1974, to be replaced briefly by Motul in a pale green and silver colour scheme. As Stanley-BRM the cars initially ran in red, white and blue with no major sponsorship; for the team's swansong it was sponsored by Rotary Watches and ran in pale blue and white. The Jordan-BRM P230 was black and gold. Later use of BRM name
BRM raced again as part of a project by John Mangoletsi for a Group C sports car known as the P351 with the backing of the Owen family to use the BRM name. Unfortunately the car was short lived and unsuccessful. In 1997 Keith Wiggins and Pacific Racing would resurrect the car as the BRM P301, using the BRM name only because it was technically a BRM built chassis but had no other connection to British Racing Motors. Heavily modified into an open cockpit sportscar, the car was equally unsuccessful.
A special edition Rover 200 was produced to commemorate the Rover-BRM gas-turbine car; this was finished in green (alas not the very dark metallic gunmetal BRM shade) with orange details. Formula One World Championship results Main article: BRM Grand Prix results Grand Prix winners
The BRM team won seventeen Formula One Grands Prix as follows: Date Race Venue Driver Chassis Engine
31 May 1959 Dutch Grand Prix Zandvoort Jo Bonnier P25 2.5L I4
20 May 1962 Dutch Grand Prix Zandvoort Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
5 August 1962 German Grand Prix Nürburgring Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
20 May 1962 Italian Grand Prix Monza Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
29 December 1962 South African Grand Prix Prince George Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
26 May 1963 Monaco Grand Prix Monaco Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
6 October 1963 United States Grand Prix Watkins Glen Graham Hill P57 1.5L V8
10 May 1964 Monaco Grand Prix Monaco Graham Hill P261 1.5L V8
4 October 1964 United States Grand Prix Watkins Glen Graham Hill P261 1.5L V8
30 May 1965 Monaco Grand Prix Monaco Graham Hill P261 1.5L V8
12 September 1965 Italian Grand Prix Monza Jackie Stewart P261 1.5L V8
3 October 1965 United States Grand Prix Watkins Glen Graham Hill P261 1.5L V8
22 May 1966 Monaco Grand Prix Monaco Jackie Stewart P261 1.9L V8
7 June 1970 Belgian Grand Prix Spa Pedro Rodríguez P153 3.0L V12
15 August 1971 Austrian Grand Prix Österreichring Jo Siffert P160 3.0L V12
5 September 1971 Italian Grand Prix Monza Peter Gethin P160 3.0L V12
14 May 1972 Monaco Grand Prix Monaco Jean-Pierre Beltoise P160B 3.0L V12 Exhibition
There is a small exhibition about Raymond Mays, including his interest in BRM, together with the trophies won by BRM while it was owned by the Owen Organisation, at Bourne Civic Society's Heritage Centre. Computer simulation
A driveable, detailed virtual recreation of the BRM H16-powered P83/P115 and the BRM P261 was made available in the pc-based F1-simulation Grand Prix Legends. External links additional info and history:
British Racing Motors was the brainchild of Raymond Mays and was established in 1947 with a base in Bourne, Lincolnshire. The first car - called the Type 15 - was designed by Peter Berthon and featured a supercharged V16 engine. The project suffered from too much advanced publicity and its early failure made it the target for the jokers of motor racing.
The prototype began testing in 1949 and appeared for the first time in the International Trophy at Silverstone in August 1950 with Raymond Mays and Raymond Sommer entered. Mays's car was not ready and Sommer's broke at the start of his heat.
A month later Reg Parnell raced one of the cars to victory in the Goodwood Trophy and at the end of October two cars appeared for Parnell and Peter Walker in the Penya Rhin GP in Barcelona. Both retired with mechanical problems.
The cars were not seen again until July 1951 when they were entered for Parnell and Walker at the British GP where they finished fifth and seventh, although Parnell was five laps behind the winning Alfa Romeo and Walker was a lap down on his team-mate. The team - with engineer Ken Richardson replacing Walker - appeared at the Italian GP in September but neither car started the race.
During the winter months the team tested with Juan-Manuel Fangio and Froilan Gonzalez but it's failure to race against Ferrari early in the year led to many race organizers deciding to switch their races to the more competitive F2, leaving only a few F1 races. Fangio and Gonzalez raced for BRM at Albi but both retired and, in the Ulster Trophy at Dundrod, BRM ran Stirling Moss alongside Fangio. Both retired. They raced at Boreham with Gonzalez and Ken Wharton.
By now the team had been taken over by industrialist Sir Alfred Owen, its official title being the Owen Racing Organisation, though the cars were still referred to as BRMs.
In 1953 there were only a handful of F1 races and Gonzalez and Fangio raced for BRM at Albi once again, Gonzalez finishing second on this occasion. Thereafter the cars only appeared in Formula Libre events.
The next Grand Prix car - the P25 - did not appear until the Daily Telegraph Trophy at Aintree in September 1955. This had a new 2.5-liter engine designed by Stuart Tresilian and Colin Chapman worked on the suspension design. Peter Collins drove the car on its debut but crashed in qualifying and could not start the race. The combination reappeared for the Gold Cup at Oulton but Collins retired with engine problems.
In 1956 Mike Hawthorn and Tony Brooks drove the cars in British F1 races, Brooks finishing second in the BARC 200 at Aintree. Both failed to qualify at Monaco but three cars were entered and raced in the British GP, Brooks and Hawthorn being joined by Ron Flockhart. None of the three finished and the cars were not seen again that year in F1 races. For the 1957 season Roy Salvadori joined Flockhart who qualified at Monaco but retired from the race. For the French GP Flockhart was joined by Herbert MacKay-Fraser but neither finished and at the British GP the team ran Jack Fairman and Les Leston. Both retired with engine trouble. Two weeks later Jean Behra and Harry Schell ran the cars in the Caen GP and the little Frenchman won. He won again in the International Trophy with team-mates Schell and Flockhart second and third.
The BRMs appeared at the Modena GP with Flockhart and Jo Bonnier but they both retired. The year ended with Maurice Trintignant finishing third for BRM in the Moroccan GP in Casablanca.
The 1958 season saw continued development of the P25 with Behra, Schell, Flockhart, Bonnier and several other drivers. The team was finally becoming a regular contender in the World Championship. There were some promising placings but no victories, the team finishing fourth in the first F1 Constructors Championship.
The 1959 season looked like being another disaster with Sir Alfred Owen going so far as to hand over a car to the British Racing Partnership in the hope that the privateer team could run the cars successfully. The works team responded with a victory at the Dutch GP in May for driver Jo Bonnier. Flockhart won the Silver City Trophy at Snetterton at the end of the year.
For the 1960 season the team produced the new P48 but drivers Dan Gurney, Graham Hill and Bonnier suffered a string of mechanical problems and scored few points.
For 1961 Hill was joined by Brooks but struggled hopelessly against the dominant Ferraris. The only victory of the year went to privateer Tony Marsh who won the Lewis-Evans Trophy at Brands Hatch in October.
At the end of the year Sir Alfred Owen demanded victory in 1962, threatening to close the team if it was not a success. The new P57 was designed by Tony Rudd with a V8 engine designed by Peter Berthon and developed by Aubrey Woods. Graham Hill stayed on as a driver and was joined by Richie Ginther. Hill won the Glover Trophy at Goodwood in April and the International Trophy in May and kicked off the World Championship a week later with victory in Holland. He went on to win the German, Italian and South African GPs and the World Championship, with BRM taking the Constructors' title as well.
The team stayed unchanged in 1963 although BRM began supplying engines to other teams, notably BRP, Scuderia Centro Sud, Scuderia Filipinetti, Scirocco-Powell Racing, Rhein-Ruhr Racing and others. Graham Hill won at Monaco and at Watkins Glen but the season was dominated by Jim Clark and Team Lotus. Hill ended as runner-up in the World Championship.
The driver line-up stayed the same in 1964 while BRM continued to supply customer engines. The new P61/2 was another Rudd design and it was competitive with Hill winning at Monaco and Watkins Glen to finish runner-up to Surtees in the World Championship.
In 1965 Hill was joined by Jackie Stewart in the works team while old cars were made available to Scuderia Centro Sud drivers Masten Gregory and Ludovico Scarfiotti. Stewart won the International Trophy and the Italian GP while Hill yet again won at Monaco and at Watkins Glen. BRM finished second to Lotus in the World Championship as Hill was again runner-up to Clark. BRM also won the non-championship Mediterranean GP at Enna thanks to Jo Siffert at the wheel of a Rob Walker Brabham, powered by a BRM engine.
The new 3-liter Formula 1 began in 1966 and BRM planned an H16 engine with the P83 chassis. This was late arriving, heavy and uncompetitive. BRM supplied the engines to Team Lotus but the only win of the year came from Jim Clark in the US Grand Prix.
Hill left to join Lotus and Stewart was joined by Mike Spence in 1967. Old cars were supplied to Reg Parnell for drivers Chris Irwin and Piers Courage. Lotus started the year with the H16 engines but soon switched to Cosworth DFVs. The 1968 season saw a new chassis - the P126 - designed by Len Terry and a new V12 engine designed by Geoff Johnson. Pedro Rodriguez quickly switched to a newer P133 but Richard Attwood and others struggled with P126. Rodriguez led in Spain and finished second in Belgium. Towards the end of the year a P138 appeared but was not very successful.
The 1969 season was little better with drivers John Surtees and Jackie Oliver. The new P139 was late-arriving and not competitive. In the mid-season there was a reshuffle with Tony Southgate arriving from Eagle to head the chassis department with designers Alec Osborne and Peter Wright while Aubrey Woods took over as head of engine development, working with Geoff Johnson.
Southgate produced a completely new car - the P153 - with a new V12 from Woods. Sponsorship was found from Yardley and drivers Rodriguez and Oliver drove. At Spa that year Rodriguez scored the team's first win for four years. Around the same period, Sir Alfred Owen handed over control of the team to his sister Jean who was married to Louis Stanley.
In 1971 the P160 arrived and won Austria and Italy in the hands of Siffert and Gethin respectively. Both Rodriguez and Siffert were killed in accidents that year - Siffert being the only driver to die in a BRM - and the team finished second in the Constructors' Championship. The P180 followed in 1972 with Marlboro sponsorship although the new car was not a success and updated versions of the P160 reappeared. Jean-Pierre Beltoise gave the team a win at Monaco in 1972.
Updated versions of the P160 appeared until 1974 as the team slipped down the order in F1 racing. The operation was kept going with Rubery Owen sponsorship until Owen's death in 1974 and at the end of that year BRM went into liquidation. It was restarted as Stanley-BRM and Mike Pilbeam was recruited to design the P201. The team appeared on occasion in 1976 but at the end of the year Louis Stanley announced a full-scale return for 1977 with a Len Terry design and drivers Larry Perkins and Teddy Pilette. The P207 was not a success and the team faded away at the end of the year.
There was an attempt to revive the company in 1979 with a car called the P230 but it was a flop. BRM's backers
The Owen Organisation trophies.
Warwick University Archive - Owen Organisation documents. Where it happened Places to see. Bibliography
BRM, Raymond Mays and Peter Roberts
BRM: The Saga of British Racing Motors, Doug Nye with Tony Rudd, MRP - Volumes 1, 2 and 3 have appeared, covering the front-engined cars, spaceframe rear engined cars and monocoque V8 cars respectively; Volume 4 will cover the H16, V12s and Can-Ams.
It Was Fun, Tony Rudd, MRP.
BRM V16, How Britain's auto makers built a Grand Prix car to beat the world, By Karl Ludvigsen, Published by Veloce
The V12 Engine, Karl Ludvigsen, Haynes 2005.
Preceded by Ferrari Formula One Constructors' Champion
1962 Succeeded by Lotus v • d • eBritish Racing Motors
Founder: Raymond Mays
Principals: Alfred Owen • Louis Stanley • Jean Stanley
Designers: Peter Berthon • Aubrey Woods • Tony Rudd • Len Terry • Tony Southgate • Mike Pilbeam Cars
Formula One: 15 • P30 • P25 • P48 • P57 • P578 • P61 • P261 • P67 • P83 • P115 • P126 • P133 • P138 • P139 • P153 • P160 • P180 • P201 • P207 • P230
Sportscars: Rover-BRM • P154 • P167 • P351 • P301
v • d • e Formula One constructors Current Formula One constructors (2008)
Ferrari · BMW Sauber · Renault · Williams · Red Bull · Toyota · Toro Rosso · Honda · Force India · McLaren Former constructors
AFM · AGS · Alfa Romeo · Alta · Amon · Andrea Moda · Apollon · Arrows · Arzani-Volpini · Aston-Butterworth · Aston Martin · ATS (Italy) · ATS (Germany) · BAR · Behra-Porsche · Bellasi · Benetton · Boro · Brabham · BRM · BRP · Bugatti · Cisitalia · Coloni · Connaught · Connew · Cooper · Cosworth · Dallara · De Tomaso · Delahaye · Derrington-Francis · Dome · Eagle · Eifelland · Emeryson · EMW · ENB · Ensign · ERA · EuroBrun · Ferguson · FIRST · Fittipaldi · Fondmetal · Footwork · Forti · Frazer Nash · Fry · Gilby · Gordini · Greifzu · Haas/Lola · Hesketh · Hill · HWM · Jaguar · JBW · Jordan · Kauhsen · Klenk · Kojima · Kurtis Kraft · Lancia · Larrousse · LDS · LEC · Leyton House · Life · Ligier · Lola · Lotus · Lyncar · Maki · March · Martini · Maserati · Matra · McGuire · Mercedes-Benz · Merzario · Midland · Milano · Minardi · Modena · Onyx · OSCA · Osella · Pacific · Parnelli · Penske · Porsche · Prost · RAM · Rebaque · Reynard · Rial · Sauber · Scarab · Scirocco · Shadow · Shannon · Simtek · Spirit · Stebro · Stewart · Super Aguri · Surtees · Spyker · Talbot · Talbot-Lago · Tec-Mec · Tecno · Theodore · Token · Toleman · Trojan · Tyrrell · Vanwall · Veritas · Williams (FWRC) · Wolf · Zakspeed
Although World Championship races held in 1952 and 1953 were run to Formula Two regulations, constructors who only participated during this period are included herein to maintain Championship continuity. Constructors whose only participation in the World Championship was in the Indianapolis 500 races between 1950 and 1960 are not listed.
v • d • e Formula One World Constructors' Champions