Built in 1961 by Al Holt in Indiana and raced in F-Modified. I've recently gone through it after purchasing from Al's son and it is ready to go. The hand welded tube frame carries an aluminum body made from an aircraft's fuel tank (drop tank). It is street legal and registered in California. With modern safety items it should be welcomed at any top vintage race venue. I can supply many more photos.

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please send me more photos & details...do you have the original SCCA log book? What engine did it race with?
speedy@historic-racer.com
How much, what engine, does it have a log book
best regards Mark
I found the Hoyt Special in Apple Valley, CA where it had been sitting in a storage container for more than 15 years. After building a tube frame from scratch Al Hoyt found a donor Volvo 544 with 250 miles from new and proceeded to mount its complete drive train to his frame. He then fashioned an aluminum body from an F-100 aircraft drop tank. The father and son team completed the car then proceeded to go racing in the F modified class with the SCCA. He ran at such tracks as Elkhart Lake, Mid America and the occasional USAF air base.

Mike Hoyt (Al's 67 year old son) told me that in '61 there were no log books with the SCCA. I can only take his word for it as I was only 5 years old then (my SCCA experience started in '78). They only raced it for a year or so before Al bought a sports racer (Elva I believe). So the Hoyt was then relagated to street duties and the occasional auto-X.

They used just about every bit of the 544 possible, even the speedometer, so Mike assures me the 7800 miles showing is the actual on the car/engine (well, 250 miles less on the car).

Al Hoyt is still around. When I picked up the car he was at some hangar doing fuselage repairs on a vintage plane. I asked if his job in the Air-Force was as some sort of fabricator but Mike said no, he was a fighter-pilot. I recently heard from someone who knew Al back in the day and learned that he also had cars he ran at Bonneville and El Mirage.

Email me directly for more photos, etc. at: lotus@inetworld.net
The price is $47,500

Thanks, Brian
Fantastic find.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Travis Buckingham and Stephen Page   Powered by Buckingham Creative

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service